Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On the Darker Side of Disney


Welcome to our Halloween costume 2009. The picture above was taken at DNA Lounge by Jamie Zawinski, the club's owner. It's one of my favorites.

The rest of this post will be picture heavy and not particularly instructive in case you sort of want to get the idea of how to make your own zombie Mulan and Mushu costume.


This was the source of our inspiration. Feel free to follow the link for other Twisted Princesses he's drawn. They're all very cool.

Twisted Princess: Mulan by ~jeftoon01 on deviantART

Just in case you don't quite see the similarities, this is a handy Photoshop to help you.


We tried to do a group costume in the Twisted Disney theme, but only had one taker. Beast is my coworker, Chris.


Construction:
Most of the work was Mushu, as you can guess. My costume mostly involved taking a kimono and some scraps of fabric, stabbing it with arrows and distressing it a bunch. The cats were enthusiastic about helping with the distressing process. Especially once it had arrows in it.

I also discovered that Testor's Ruby Red Metal Flake model paint, when sprayed on clothing is a good fake blood substitute. The cricket on my shoulder was made out of pipe cleaners by Chris (Beast).

Makeup is not my specialty, but standard makeup I found in my closet is mostly what I used except I added gel blood from the Halloween store. The biggest bang by far, were the contacts. Yes, they're contacts and they're creepy.


Mushu's head started out life as a bike helmet, cardboard, wire and styrofoam.


Craft foam, felt, paint and many sticks of hot glue later. The crowning jewel was the EL wire for pointless illumination.


The rest of the outfit was a fleece footed pajamas with craft foam and paint. We replaced the feet with built-in shoes from Payless. The talons we bought from the great store called the internet.


P.S. We didn't win any costume contests, though both contests I participated in (one at work, one at DNA Lounge) had the MC paying us compliments on the costume as we lost. Beast did win Scariest costume at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment