Saturday, March 27, 2010

It's a Hat Trick!

Today was our dojo's annual tournament. Ever since I got my purple belt, I've been expected to compete in the kumite (sparring) portion of the tournament. Just like the previous year, I approached the prospect with dread. I don't think today's results will change that, but I can be happy with my performance at least. I competed in individual kata (forms), team kata, and individual kumite. I won first place in all three events. Yay!

It'll probably never happen again.

It probably also helped that I was record keeping at one of the rings (we had three competition areas going at once to get through all of them in a timely manner) up until minutes before I had to compete in individual kata, then team kata, then kumite in rapid succession. I didn't have time to get nervous or overthink the sparring part. Although I did have a moment of panic just before individual kata where I blanked on the first couple of moves. Thankfully I didn't go first.

Afterwards, I could watch the black belts in their competition which is my favorite part. 1) I don't have to compete and 2), I get to watch people at a higher level of ability do it better.

Now, I can relax knowing that the next tournament is a whole year away.

No comments:

Post a Comment