Sunday, July 5, 2009

Addicted to... Oatmeal?

I have apparently never had real oatmeal. Sure, I've had the little flavored packets I add water to. I was once partial to the cinnamon or maple flavors. But no more!

This weekend, I was too lazy to head out to a brunch place and I didn't want to have 2 pancake breakfasts in a row. So I tried the old-fashioned oatmeal recipe - the kind that takes half an hour to make. Nothing instant about it. I had oats (for granola) and milk (for yogurt) lying around and of course some butter and salt. I let things simmer, waited about half and hour and voila! The fluffiest, creamiest, toothsome oatmeal I have ever tasted. I sprinkled brown sugar over the first bowl. And when I went back for seconds, I tried honey drizzled over it. I would have tried maple syrup next, but my stomach ran out of room. It even reheats well in the microwave.

Guess what I'm having for breakfast this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment