Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Granola, Now With Yogurt!

Apparently the problem with the yogurt wasn't that I messed up the heating/cooling/bacteria growing process. It was just that I didn't wait long enough. The instructions said 3-4 hours to set. Other internet sources said that the longer I let it sit, the more tart it gets and that depending on the number of live cultures in the starter, it might take 6 hours.

I started the incubation around 4:30pm. I checked it at 7:30. Milk. Well okay, that was only 3 hours. I'll check it again later. I fought some zombies on the PS3, so I didn't check again until 10:30 (total elapsed time: 6 hours). Still milk. Not even a hint of thicker milk. Just milk. I give up, figure I have another failure on my hands, swaddle up the jar again and shove it back into the dark turned-off oven and decide to deal with it in the morning.

I remember and pull it out the following morning at about 9:30. Lo and behold: Not Milk! (total elapsed time 17 hours) I shove it into the fridge, let it cool down for an hour and ask Lee to taste test. When he didn't immediately spit it back out, I tried it myself. It was thick, close to the consistency of Greek yogurt and not even that tart, just yogurty goodness.

Success!

1 comment:

  1. Why are you re-doing MICRO 200 lab? I didn't taste my creation back then either. It's good that you have a taster, though. Obama has one too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete