Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oh, Happy Day!



I knew I was going to watch the inauguration of our 44th president today. I expected to fire up a live feed on my computer and watch from there. Then my office offered to have it showing in one of the conference rooms on campus. Which was better because I would be able to be with other people, other Americans witnessing this moment in history. Then I found a text message from a friend inviting me to watch the inauguration at the Oakland Arena. Without much further thought, I went and bought tickets. My inauguration-watching experience was even better - I managed to talk Lee into going with me so that I could weep at will on his shoulder and I got to feel the energy of an arena full of hopeful, cheering people. We the People, indeed. Before Biden and Obama took their oaths, we were asked to stand. Lee wondered whether that really included those attending via live television. I felt, and apparently the rest of the people in the arena did also, that since I was witnessing the ceremony, I was a part of it and was therefore included in the "Please, rise.." request. (Admittedly, I might have felt a little silly standing had I been watching at my cubicle.)

While I could have done without the tv pundits bloviating over the video feed, I did learn from them that after noon today, he could officially drop the "elect" part of his title and become President Obama, per the 20th Amendment. However, he can't execute power as the president until after he uttered the oath. Yay, for learning about our Constitution!

I thought President Obama's inaugural speech was excellent. I still think he's one of the finest orators of our day. It was grittier and more somber than I expected. I thought he would employ soaring rhetoric as might have been called for under these ceremonial circumstances. But perhaps the grittier, more realistic look at the challenges we face as a nation is more appropriate for the times. I think I'll have to listen to it again later to digest it better. Ah, the wonders of the internet.

I liked the musical interlude, composed/arranged by the awesome John Williams and played by a quartet that included a clarinet player (REPRESENT!). My favorite may have been the end of Reverend Joseph Lowery's benediction: "...help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right." It's not so much the words, but his delivery and cadence that brought a smile to my face for the umpteenth time this morning.

Have I ever watched an inauguration before? Not until this time. Have I ever paid tickets to join hundreds of other people in watching said televised event in an arena? Not until this time. Have I even seen a presidential election process through to the very end and felt like I was a part of a proud, national process? Not until this time. I think I'm going to need some champagne before dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment